Vegan Waffle Breakfast Sandwich –
Breakfast will never be the same after you try this incredible Vegan Waffle Breakfast Sandwich. Not just any breakfast sandwich. Our plant-based breakfast sandwich incorporates waffles as the bun! The ultimate vegan breakfast concoction has arrived and we’ve come up with the recipe for you! Layers of our delicious tofu scramble, vegan breakfast sausage, and vegan cheddar cheese sandwiched in between our warm and subtly sweet waffle will have you going back for seconds.
James and I LOVE breakfast food. Not kidding, we cook breakfast for dinner all the time. There is something so comforting about having breakfast for dinner that always takes me back to the summer days of my teenage years. What better way to have a taste of that nostalgia than reinterpreting our favorite breakfast items into one vegan meal? Sounds awesome, right? That’s the beauty of plant-based cooking and it’s honestly so much fun.
The star of the show is definitely our tofu scramble not just because of how delicious it is but because it’s also so versatile! This tofu scramble recipe is savory and simple to prepare. This is also wonderful to have as leftovers for lunch as a breakfast burrito, on toast, or tossed in with a quick fried rice (stay tuned for a Chinese fried rice recipe). We love to use Trader Joe’s sprouted tofu because of its texture and healthy sprouted nutrients. If you do not have access to this particular tofu, any firm tofu will work. Make sure you drain and press your tofu. We squeeze out the tofu in between two cutting boards, gently.
Secret to Delicious Tofu Scramble
The secret to making this tofu scramble taste like real eggs is the black salt aka Kala Manak. Once you use black salt for an egg recipe, you’ll never look back! It is amazing the natural eggy flavor black salt has. The natural sulfur that occurs during the heating process of Kala Manak is what attributes to the eggy flavor you taste when adding it to your dish. Nature decided to create the perfect ingredient to satisfy your egg cravings! And, yes, egg cravings are a real thing.
The buns for this breakfast sandwich recipe are replaced by our 5-ingredient, super easy, healthy waffles. This delicious waffle recipe is quick to make and is the perfect addition to this mouth-watering vegan breakfast sandwich. These waffles are fluffy and light, perfect to use as the bread for this sandwich. We prefer to use agave as a sweetener for our waffles for its subtle sweetness and low glycemic index. However, you can replace it with maple syrup, coconut brown sugar, or any other sweetener of your choice. We recommend using coconut oil for moist waffles.
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
James was so eager to try this sandwich after I had mentioned my plans for this recipe and he is happy to report that it’s his favorite breakfast meal to date. For this recipe, we decided to use Gardein breakfast sausage (it was the first time we tried it and it’s honestly the best breakfast sausage in the market!) as well as Violife cheddar shreds because we have found that it melts the best. That being said, you can definitely use whichever products you guys prefer and make this breakfast sandwich your own. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Let us know in the comments below how it turned it! Subscribe below for updates on our latest recipes.
Vegan Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Agave
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil Melted
- 1 1/2 Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- 16 oz Firm Tofu Drained and Pressed
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1/2 Bunch Green Onions Chopped
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast (Nooch)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tbsp Black Salt
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Vegan Sausage
- Vegan Cheese
- Prepare the tofu scramble first by sautéing half of a chopped yellow onion and 2 crushed garlic cloves in 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes
- Crumble the drained and pressed tofu over the onions along with ¼ cup of nutritional yeast and 3 tsp of turmeric. Stir until the spices have combined and saute for about 2 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp of non-dairy milk, 1 tsp of black salt, and black pepper to taste
- Take off heat and top off with fresh green onions; set aside to make your waffles
- Separately, combine 1 ½ cups of non-dairy milk, 3 tbsp of agave, and 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients until the batter is thick enough that it covers the spoon
- Once your waffles are ready, you’re ready to build your breakfast sandwich! Layer breakfast sausage, our homemade tofu scramble, and top with vegan cheddar cheese sandwiched between two warm waffles for the perfect breakfast sandwich!
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!