Vegan Tempeh Gyro Recipe –
Feast your eyes on these delicious Vegan Tempeh Gyros! These Vegan Gyros are seriously addicting. They’re so good it’s hard to believe they’re 100% vegan, plant-based, & dairy-free! James and I both grew up in Miami, FL where you can find some incredible Gyros in the most unexpected mom & pop shacks. These are what we used for inspiration and we’re pretty sure we’ve nailed the flavor and technique.
Gyros are so delicious, quick, and satiating! A warm pita topped with browned slices of succulent, marinated tempeh, some Tabbouleh, and a generous amount of our homemade 4-ingredient vegan Tzatziki sauce. Our Vegan Tzatziki sauce (recipe below) is very easy and healthy! Made mostly out of tofu, this Tzatziki sauce will keep your heart and tummy happy. This recipe was definitely one we wanted to share with you all because not only is the flavor uncanny to the “real thing” but it also makes your body feel great afterward! I’m sure not many non-vegans can say that after having a stuffed Gyro filled with saturated fats and artificial flavors.
What is Tempeh?
This is a wonderful introductory recipe for someone who has not tasted or cooked with tempeh before. Although tempeh and tofu are both made from soybeans, they are quite different in terms of flavor and texture. Tempeh is the result of cooked & fermented soybeans pressed into a firm, dense block. On the other hand, tofu tends to be soft and spongy. Tofu is the product of soy milk curds that are pressed to produce soft, firm, and extra-firm textures. Although both are wonderful in an array of dishes as the protein, tempeh is definitely our favorite choice for a firm and “meaty” texture whereas tofu is ideal for dishes like tofu scramble. Because tempeh is fermented, it is incredibly nutritious and has more nutrients and vitamins than tofu.
Don’t be scared to try tempeh if you haven’t yet! It is honestly an amazing meat replacement because of its texture and firmness. Tempeh absorbs whatever flavor you give it so marinating it is pertinent to make your dishes savory. I definitely recommend always marinating your tempeh for at least 30 minutes, no less. The more time it marinates, the better the flavor. We really hope you try this recipe and experiment with tempeh if you haven’t before! Let us know in the comments below what you think! Interested in more amazing, delicious vegan recipes? Subscribe to receive updates on our latest recipes!
Vegan Tempeh Gyros
- 1 Package of Tempeh
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tbsp Browning Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Pitas
- Tabbouleh for Serving
- Vegan Feta Cheese for Serving
- 16 oz Silken Tofu
- 1/4 English Cucumber Peeled
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 1/2 Limes
- 1/4 Cup Dill
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Water Add more if needed
- First, the tempeh has to be marinated. Begin by slicing the tempeh thinly (resembling gyro meat) and chopping the onions.
- Whisk the soy sauce, liquid smoke, browning sauce, olive oil, steak seasoning, and oregano together. Add the whisked sauce, onions, and tempeh to a container and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes while you make the Vegan Tzatziki Sauce.
- To a blender add: drained silken tofu, cucumber, garlic, lime juice, dill, salt, and water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Place in a container and refrigerate to allow the sauce to become thicker as it cools.
- After the tempeh has marinated for at least 30 minutes, heat up a large pan and saute the tempeh along with the onions and marinade.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes to brown the tempeh and bring out the flavors of the marinade. Remove from heat and set aside.
- If you can't find a Tabouleh salad near you, you can chop up some tomatoes and cucumber with olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper as a salad for serving.
- To assemble, warm up the pitas and layer the tempeh, Tabouleh/cucumber salad, feta cheese, and Vegan Tzatziki Sauce. You can add hot peppers, olives, pickles, beets, or any plant-based topping you’d typically order on a Gyro. Enjoy!
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!