Vegan Poutine Recipe –
We have made our fellow Canadians proud with this one! Our Vegan Poutine Recipe has arrived and it is here to stay. We have come up with the perfect vegan gravy that compliments crispy fries and melted “cheese” curds, perfectly. James and I were both shocked at the final product and are convinced no one would ever detect it’s vegan! The best part about this recipe: it’s made with 100% plant-based ingredients. While this isn’t something that should be eaten daily, it’s great to have a poutine recipe without the heart-clogging guilt, haha.
Poutine is one of those comfort dishes that are so hard to find where we live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Naturally, we caved in to the craving and came up with our own vegan poutine recipe! I personally love a KFC-esque thick, luscious, buttery gravy and that was definitely my inspiration for this recipe. This vegan gravy is not only delicious but it is easy, quick, and dairy-free.
This is a great recipe to cook for your friends and family to show them that vegan food is not “boring”. Most people are shocked when I tell them the delicious vegan meals James and I cook daily. The majority of non-vegan individuals we speak to expect to hear that we eat steamed veggies and salads every day in order to be vegan, which is a huge misconception. Yes, we eat salads and veggies. However, we come up with creative ways to make them taste great and change things up a bit. Now that you’re inspired, gather the ingredients below and get cooking! This Vegan Poutine is sure to make you and your family say “Is this really vegan?!”. Let us know in the comments below how it turned out for you!
Vegan Poutine Recipe
- 6-7 Russet Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Corn Flour or Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 Cup Grapeseed Oil
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese We used Miyoko’s Fresh Vegan Mozzarella
Vegan Poutine Gravy
- 2 Vegan Beef Flavored Bouillon Cubes
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Vidalia Onion Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- Begin by chopping the onions and heating up a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Chop the potatoes into about 1-inch thick fries and set aside.
- Make the Vegan Beef broth by warming 1 cup of water to dissolve 2 bouillon cubes in and add 1 cup of milk and mix until fully combined.
- To the broth, add 1 tbsp soy sauce & 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in the saucepan and saute the onions until soft and fragrant.
- Slowly add ¼ cup of flour to the onions and stir until thick and combined.
- Add the broth mixture to the saucepan and stir until viscosity resembles traditional gravy and set aside.
- To make the fries, begin by heating ½ cup grapeseed oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- To a bowl, toss the chopped potatoes with about ¼ cup of cornflour or tapioca starch and begin frying for about 4-5 minutes until fries are golden brown.
- Once you’re done cooking the fries and the gravy is set, it’s time to ensemble the poutine!
- Stack a layer of crispy fries with a generous ladle of our delicious vegan gravy and chunks of Vegan Mozzarella followed by another layer of crispy fries with generous gravy and more Mozzarella for a healthy serving of poutine to share with your friends and family.
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!