Vegan Chorizo Burger Recipe –
If there is one recipe I am excited about, it’s this one! Every Cuban’s dream is enjoying a succulent Frita in the heart of Little Havana after winning an entire day’s worth of Domino’s in Domino Park. My childhood is riddled with visits to El Rey de Las Fritas on 29th street in Hialeah, FL. Talk about being raised Cuban in Miami! You can imagine how difficult it was to part ways with my childhood comfort staple: a delicious chorizo beef burger that is smothered with stretchy, melted cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and a crunchy mound of Pik-Nik potatoes. James & I set out our mission to give in to my nostalgia and veganize this Cuban staple! Behold, the Vegan Frita Chorizo Burger!
When coming up with the idea of recreating a Frita into a plant-based, vegan recipe, I knew I wanted to use Beyond Meat Beef. Apart from Impossible Foods (which is inaccessible in stores), Beyond Meat Beef definitely accomplishes the closest flavor and texture to real meat. Even the smell is uncanny! For this recipe to work, we strongly recommend picking up the Beyond Meat Beef. We also love Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo for this recipe and have found the texture and flavor to be the most authentic. The Russian sauce is an addition to the recipe of my own that I found gave the burger the tanginess it needs. It’s also amazing as a dipping sauce for your fries!
You can use any vegan cheese and burger bun of your choice but we mention our recommendations throughout the recipe below. James has never had a “real” Frita before, but he was astonished at the flavor of this Chorizo Burger! We are happy to express that we made this for my parents and they were shocked that it was vegan! This recipe is very dear to me as it represents my culture and childhood memories in an adaptation of our lifestyle. I would be honored if you guys try out our Vegan Cuban Frita/Chorizo Burger recipe and share your experience with us. We don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Vegan Frita Chorizo Burger
- 1 lb Beyond Meat Beef Thawed
- 6 oz Vegan Chorizo We used Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo
- 1 Yellow Onion Sliced
- 4 Slices of Vegan Cheese We used Violife Mature Cheddar
- 4 Hamburger Buns We recommend pretzel buns
- Pik-Nik Original Shoestring Potatoes
Russian Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce We recommend Cholula
- To make these amazing vegan Frita’s, turn on your grill (or stovetop) and combine 1 lb of Beyond Meat Beef with 6 oz of vegan Chorizo in a bowl.
- Flatten out evenly in the bowl and divide into 4 parts to shape into burger patties. This will equate to quarter pounders once it cooks and releases the fat.
- Cook the patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until brown. We recommend cooking them over the grill for a lean and flavorful burger. However, we’ve also made this on the griddle/pan and it still is delicious. Just beware of the drippage!
- While the patties are cooking, saute your onions until they are brown and caramelized (Trick: add a dash of maple syrup to caramelize the onions further).
- Once you flip the patties for the first time, place a slice of cheese over each patty so that the cheese melts as the other side cooks. This will lead to ultimate cheesy goodness!
- Remove from heat and assemble! Spread the Russian sauce on the pretzel buns and stack the caramelized onions and Pik-Nik sticks over your delicious Frita/Chorizo Burger!
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!