Vegan Bread Pudding Recipe –
The time has come for our Vegan Bread Pudding Recipe, Cuban style. A.K.A. Pudin de Pan. This is a great dessert recipe for when you have stale bread but feel too guilty to throw it away. I feel like Pudin de Pan is a Cuban recipe that represents the Cuban roots and culture perfectly. This recipe was a way Cubans would make the most use out of the old scraps they could find. It represents how beautifully Cubans turn an unfortunate situation into something incredible! The resilience of the Cuban culture inspired me to veganize this delicious recipe and I am pretty sure we nailed it. If you have ever had the real thing, you’d surely love this plant-based version even more!
Traditional Cuban Bread Pudding
Cuban Bread Pudding (Pudin de Pan) is traditionally made with stale Cuban bread, condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, and rum. Sounds like a heart attack, I know! However, James and I have scoured around for the perfect plant-based ingredients and we’re happy to report this healthier, vegan version is just as tasty. The result is a spongy, creamy, sweet pudding with a hint of rum for that perfect kick.
Traditionally, this bread pudding is made with raisins, however, I’m only a fan of golden raisins so that’s what we chose for our version. That being said, you can use whatever dried fruit you have laying around and toss them in. Cranberries are a great option! Sliced almonds would be an amazing addition as well but we didn’t haven’t any so we opted out. You can customize this recipe to your taste.
James and I have grown to love cooking more and more with each recipe because we get to use our creativity to satiate our hunger! How awesome is that? A plant-based lifestyle is not only good for your body but it also allows you to explore your palate and creativity. Adopting a plant-based lifestyle is a mind, body, and soul experience and we know you’ll be feeling just as great if you try it out for yourself! So try out this recipe and let us know in the comments below what you think! Check out our other recipes for more dinner ideas and subscribe below to stay updated on all of our latest recipes!
Vegan Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 Large Loaf Stale Bread
- 1 Can Coconut Condensed Milk
- 1 Can Coconut Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 3 tbsp Agave or Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Rum
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Agave or Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Rum
- Preheat your oven to 350º, gather your stale loaf and a rectangular cake pan, and begin to roughly break apart the bread in the pan.
- In a separate pyrex or bowl, whisk together 1 can coconut condensed milk, 1 can coconut evaporated milk, 1 ½ cup non-dairy milk, 2 tbsp agave, 3 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp rum, and 1 tsp vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over bread in the cake pan and begin massaging the mixture into the stale bread until the bread begins to resemble almost a pudding texture.
- Add in the raisins and combine.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top becomes golden. You can tell the pudding is ready by inserting a toothpick or knife in the middle and it comes out clean.
- While the pudding is in the oven, mix ¼ cup agave with 1 tbsp rum to serve as a glaze for the pudding once it is finished baking.
- Puncture a few holes on top and pour agave glaze over the pudding while it’s still hot. Enjoy!
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!