Plant Based Taco Tuesday Recipe –
These delicious vegan chorizo breakfast hash and crispy tofu brussel slaw tacos are the perfect recipe for your Taco Tuesday this week! But seriously, every occasion calls for tacos. This recipe makes you want to convince your friends to go vegan because these tacos are better than the “real” thing! Going vegan was tough for two reasons: chicken tenders and cheese. All cheeses! When it comes to tacos, Mexican Cotija/Queso Fresco is a staple but it’s also riddled with dairy and animal products. Luckily, James and I figured out a way to transform our trusty tofu into Vegan Cotija Cheese!
Who doesn’t love breakfast tacos? Well, these tacos are the ultimate vegan comfort meal combining crispy, fried potatoes topped with chorizo, Vegan Egg Yolk Sauce and a generous scoop of our vegan Cotija Cheese. The flavor combination of the egg with the chorizo and the refreshing Cotija Cheese is so delicious and will truly impress your friends and family!
Prior to going vegan, I would regularly visit this little taco shack near me where they make the most amazing chicken tender tacos and they were definitely the inspiration for this recipe! We veganized these tacos by making savory crispy tofu cubes topped with a homemade brussel sprout slaw and avocado. I love using brussel sprouts for coleslaw because it adds dimension to your dish. If you have a Publix supermarket near you, look for Greenwise brand Super Firm Cubed Tofu! It works perfectly for any recipe that calls for cubed tofu. The trick to making them crispy is draining and pressing the tofu between paper towels until dry. We urge you guys to try these recipes for your next Taco Tuesday (or any occasion for that matter) and share with your family & friends!
Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Hash Tacos
Chorizo Breakfast Hash Tacos
- 8 Whole Wheat Soft Tortillas
- 6 oz Vegan Chorizo We love Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo
- 4 Red Potatoes Chopped
- 1 Cup Grapeseed Oil For shallow fry
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Egg Yolk Sauce Find link in description above
- Homemade Vegan Cotija Cheese Find link in description above
- To make your breakfast hash, begin by heating a large pan on high heat with about 1 cup of grape seed oil (depending on the size of your pan) to shallow fry your chopped potatoes.
- Once the oil has become very hot, begin to add in the chopped potatoes. Fry for about 8-10 minutes or until they are golden brown and appear crispy. Remember to not overcrowd the pan with potatoes since that will cause the oil to cool, leading to soggy potatoes (yuck!).
- While the potatoes are frying, crisp up your chorizo crumbles by sauteing it over medium-heat for about 5 minutes to release the flavor. Remove from heat.
- Once the potatoes are crisp, remove from oil and drain on paper towel
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to potatoes and warm your tortillas over a flame or in a pan.
- Time to assemble! Whip out your premade Egg Yolk Sauce & Homemade Vegan Cotija Cheese and start assembling. Begin with the fried potatoes, soy chorizo, generously drizzle Egg Yolk Sauce, and top with as much Cotija Cheese as you want! You’ll want to keep a side of the egg yolk sauce for extra dipping or drizzling!
Crispy Tofu Tacos
- 4 Whole Wheat Soft Tortillas
- 8 oz Extra Firm Tofu Pressed, Drained, and Cubed
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (Nooch)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 tbsp Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 8 oz Brussel Sprouts Shredded
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mayo
- 3 tbsp Honey Mustard
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- To make our savor crispy tofu bites, preheat your airfryer/oven to 350º F. Drain and press the tofu between two paper towels until dry. Cut the tofu into cubes. Place another paper towel on top of the cubes and press gently.
- Toss the tofu cubes in a bowl with olive oil, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, steak seasoning, salt, and pepper until evenly coated. Place in the oven/airfryer on a nonstick sheet for 20 minutes or until they appear crispy and golden brown.
- Shred the brussel sprouts and combine with the mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and spices.
- Remove the tofu cubes from the oven and begin your assembly! Warm your tortillas over a flame or in a microwave with a damp paper towel over it. Begin with the savory crispy tofu bites, smother with some brussel slaw, and top off with sliced avocado.
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!