Easy Vegan Calzone Recipe –
Who doesn’t love a stuffed calzone with stretchy, melty cheese and garlicky tomato sauce?! Ah, childhood memories. Guess what?! You can relive that nostalgia with our very own Vegan Meatball Calzone! This homemade vegan pizza pocket is everything you could ever want when transitioning into a plant-based lifestyle. Not only is this recipe mouthwatering it’s also super fun to whip up! Play with dough, build a pizza, and eat the results? Count us in!
We came up with this recipe after strolling around our local Italian market and came across their fresh (vegan) pizza dough. Now, I am not the best with dough so instead of offering to make a haphazard pizza, I suggested making a calzone that can be stuffed with plant-based deliciousness! James loved it and I was saved from having to embarrass myself. The result was so tasty we had to share it with you guys.
What We Used
For this easy vegan calzone recipe, we chose to use Kite Hill’s ricotta cheese and Gardein’s meatless meatballs as the main toppings in our calzone. However, you are free to use any veggies and plant-based ingredients you’d like! Mushrooms, spinach, olives, and artichokes are some of many veggies that James and I love to use in our calzones. The great thing about these recipes is that we make it simple enough for you guys to explore and experiment with your own favorite veggies.
James and I love pizza and definitely miss cheese from time to time. This recipe is perfect to kill those cheesy pizza cravings and take the time to make something yummy for you and your family. Adopting a vegan lifestyle is not only good for your body and the planet, but it also strengthens your relationships and human interactions. Cooking is truly a bonding experience and is beneficial to multiple facets of your life. That being said, we really hope this recipe inspires you to get in the kitchen with your partner and cook something delicious and plant-based for your family. Let us know in the comments below how it turned out for you and subscribe below for our latest recipes!
Easy Vegan Calzone Recipe
- 1 Fresh Pizza Dough We buy ours at our local Italian market
- 1/4 Cup Flour To rollout the dough and coat rolling pin
- 1 Pack Gardein Meatless Meatballs or your favorite brand
- 1 Jar Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (Nooch)
- 1 Pack Vegan Ricotta We used Kitehill
- 1 Pack Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter Melted
- Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF.
- Chop half of your onion, crush 4 cloves of garlic, and saute over 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the onions and garlic are soft, add the meatless meatballs and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- When the meatballs have browned, add 1 jar of tomato sauce, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp Nooch, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and cook in the sauce for about 5 minutes to soak in that flavor.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, set aside. Remove your fresh pizza dough from the wrapping and set onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal parts.
- Lightly flour your rolling pin and roll out one pizza dough quarter at a time. It doesn’t have to be a perfect shape so long as it is large enough to stuff and fold.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp vegan ricotta cheese onto the dough leaving about 1 inch of space around the edge of the dough. Place your toppings: tomato sauce, meatballs, and vegan mozzarella on one half of the dough.
- Fold the dough over the toppings and seal by pinching the dough together around the entire calzone. Press down the edges with a fork to reinforce. Repeat with the remaining 3 dough quarters.
- Once the calzones are stuffed and ready to go, crush 2 garlic cloves and combine with melted butter. Brush the garlic butter over all of the calzones for that perfect golden crust!
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden. Let cool for a bit before eating and enjoy!
Want to receive more? Please follow our blog to receive updates for our latest recipes!
Want to see more recipes? Click Below!